Marshalls Manor is a striking and most handsome Grade II property that is iconic to Cuckfield high street and well known for its detailed history. Believed to date back to the 16th Century. Passing by inheritance or sale between eminent Sussex families, the Sergisons of Cuckfield Place acquired the Manor of Marshalls in 1785, and it remained part of the Manor of Cuckfield until the last Sergison was killed in the First World War. Let by the Sergisons to various tenants between the family's own occupatin, it was once the home of Captain John Pilfold who had commanded HMS Ajax under Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 and his nephew the poet, Percy Bysshe Shelley, was a regular visitor. By the 1841 census, the tenant was Surgeon Thomas Byass with Marshalls Manor House recorded in Victorian times as the home of Cuckfield Doctors practice. Later on it was sold to Doctor Farr who then sold it to the current owners.
The current owners have modernised and enhanced Marshalls Manor over the years and it now offers a plethora of living and entertaing space with some superb features such as: The original wooden panelling downstairs, the very large Inglenook fireplace in the dining room, superb decorative carvings on doors to remind which were the appropriate rooms for the owners of the house and for the servants. Immense brick chimneys which was a sign of wealth in Victorian times and the 'Strawberry Hill Gothic' porch are just a few of the features.
The floorplan shows in detail the layout of the property which spans to over 5900 sq ft, this includes the one bedroom separate annexe but does not include the garaging which is extensive providing for six cars and with a large studio area above. There is also gated off street parking with the property which is a rare find in a high street property.
Cuckfield has a good range of local amenities including a convenience store/post office, petrol station, medical centre, variety of independent village shops, public houses, restaurants and a hotel with Spa. More comprehensive shopping facilities may be found in Hayward’s Heath with its wide range of shops, restaurants and bars and a modern leisure centre. Haywards Heath has a mainline railway station with a fast and frequent
commuter service to London (Victoria and Thames link to London Bridge from 42 minutes), Brighton and Gatwick. The A23 offers a direct route to the motorway network, the airports at Gatwick, Heathrow and the coast.
There is an excellent range of educational facilities locally, in both the private and state sectors. They include Holy Trinity primary and Warden Park secondary schools in Cuckfield. Nearby private schools are Great Walstead, Cumnor House,
Handcross Park School, Burgess Hill School for Girls, Ardingly College and Hurstpierpoint College.
The South West facing garden is particulary large for a high street property at 0.6 of an acre. The garden is flanked by a wall to the east and the garage resides to the west. The garden is laid to lawn with a feature pond, herbacous and well established borders along with a large vegetable patch.