Distances are calculated in a straight line and may not reflect actual travel distance.
This is one of our Country Houses
Crooksbury House is one of Sir Edwin Lutyens best known country houses and has been the subject of two major articles in ‘Country Life’. The original small house of 1890 represents the earliest work of Lutyens as an unknown architect. The extensive and partially separate east wing added in 1898 and enlarged in 1913 represents the architects work when his international reputation lead to his
commission to design the new administrative capital of India at New Delhi. Crooksbury House was divided in 1975, having been previously listed as a building of architectural and historic interest (Grade II). Fig Tree Court comprises the east wing which contains the most important rooms and features of the building, in particular the magnificent drawing room with the original mahogany display cabinets, oak panelled dining room and vaulted hallway. The method employed by Sir Edwin when creating the east wing has led
to Fig Tree Court enjoying a seclusion of a property within its own grounds and becoming
a magnificent home of considerable character.
Fig Tree Court is situated approximately 1 mile from Tilford village cricket green which is flanked by the River Wey. This traditional village has many local amenities such as The Barley Mow Inn, a parish church, shop, village hall, infant school and nearby a primary school. Tilford lies within protected countryside designated as being of Outstanding Natural Beauty and is within the Surrey Hills Area of Great Landscape Value. The adjoining countryside is interlaced with footpaths and bridleways. The area is renowned for its commons much within the ownership of The National Trust and with close by Stockbridge Pond, Hankley Common, Tilford Common and Frensham
Common and ponds providing excellent walking and riding and a sailing club at Frensham Great Pond. The old country towns of Farnham and
Haslemere are within a short drive. Farnham is a historic former market town renowned for its medieval and Georgian buildings beneath its castle and park. A good commutingservice to Waterloo runs from Guildford or Farnham. There is an excellent range of schools close by including
Edgeborough, Frensham Heights, The Royal School,St Edmunds, Charterhouse and Priorsfield. Farnham golf club is about 1.5 miles. The coast is
about 30 miles.
A particular feature of the property are the beautiful gardens which having been carefully planned have resulted in the garden that retains all
the flavour of the original formal walled garden and terrace, designed by Gertrude Jeykell. The garden walls and house are adorned in climbing
plants and trees, which are an essential feature of a Lutyens house. The majority of the gardens are light woodland and mature beech with silver birch,
red oak and species, rhododendron intermingled
with specimen trees which ensure that some display is always visible from the house or the paths throughout. On the wall beside the lily pond to the lavender garden is a prolific fig tree planted some years ago to replace the original fig tree
which gave its name to the property in 1896. Within the grounds is a substantial circular
formal pond stocked with Koi Carp overlooked by a
traditional summer house. There is a privately located heated swimming pool with a substantial pool house comprising a sitting area, kitchen and shower room with a W.C. enjoys an adjoining large decked area, ideal for ‘al fresco’ dining. Within the
grounds and concealed from the house is a vegetable garden with greenhouse, numerous timber outbuildings and sheds and a substantial composting area. In all the gardens and grounds
extend to approximately 6.5 acres. To the front of Crooksbury House is a designated parking area for 3 cars.
Long vaulted entrance hall
Magnificent 35 ft drawing room
Oak panelled dining room
Master bedroom suite comprising bedroom
en-suite bathroom and dressing room
Contact branch for relevant Energy Performance Certificate