Distances are calculated in a straight line and may not reflect actual travel distance.
Let us help calculate the repayments on this property.Use our mortgage calculator
Records suggest that settlements in the area of Grayshott date from 12th century. Most of the residential development took place during the Victorian and Edwardian eras. The area became popular with
Victorians because of its clean air and height above sea level (Gibbet Hill stands at 272 metres above sea level). Flora Thompson, author of “Lark Rise to Candleford” was appointed assistant postmistress in Grayshott in 1887. The estate, originally known as the “Kingswood
Firs” estate and acquired by James Mowatt in 1884 who set about building one of the largest houses in the area. Notable neighbours included George Bernard Shaw lived nearby at “Blencathra” (now St.
Edmund’s School, Hindhead). James Mowatt bequeathed the entire estate to Gonville & Caius College Cambridge to whom it passed on his death in 1931. The National Trust acquired part of the Estate nearest Waggoners Wells in 1934. Canadian troops were billeted at during the Second World War. In 1948, the house was purchased by Lionel Franks who became chairman of the National Trust in the area and renamed it “Hunters Moon”, it is thought after Sir Robert Hunter who founded the National Trust (a memorial to Sir Robert is to be found at Waggoners Wells). As mentioned, “Hunters Moon” is tucked away in
a private spot in the middle of what was once the
“Kingswood Firs” Estate, a large rural estate between
Stoney Bottom, Crossways Road and Waggoners Wells.
Although the Estate has been developed over the years for residential use, “Hunters Moon”, which was the principle residence on the estate, remains in a protected position, hidden from view and surrounded by its own land. The house has its own direct private access onto Ludshott Common.
A private drive leads up to the property and arrives at a
large turning circle in front of the house. The house is
constructed of brick and tile-hung elevations under a
multi-pitched, tiled roof. It is said to have been built
between 1884 and 1894 though additions have been
added over the years. The current owners refurbished the property between 1992 and 1994. The majority of the gardens and grounds lie to the west and south-west of the property. The house has a variety of attractive and unusual design features, including several arched windows, a large bay window in the drawing room and the dramatic, timber clad, pitched roof in the family room to the rear. Inside, the rooms are exceptionally well proportioned and the layout lends itself very well to family living. A central
reception hall gives the house a great sense of balance and provides access to the magnificent 32ft drawing room, study, family room, dining room and the wine cellar. The kitchen and utility area, which was substantially redesigned by the current owners, is the generous and comfortable heart of the house. It has an Aga, lots of cupboard space and plenty of room for a large breakfast table. The formal dining room is conveniently located for access to the kitchen. Beneath the kitchen are very extensive cellars (including wine cellars), and the boiler room. From the hall next to the kitchen a passageway leads into the wood store.
Set over the first and second floors there are 6 bedrooms in total, which are served by 4 bathrooms. The magnificent master suite also has two dressing rooms. All of the bedrooms are good sized doubles and are elegantly presented.
Hunters Moon is conveniently located on the edge of the thriving village of Grayshott in North East Hampshire, close to the borders of Surrey and West Sussex. Hunters Moon has its own secluded
setting, surrounded by ancient woodland, and its land leads directly onto hundreds of acres of beautiful National Trust land. The countryside is stunning, varied and wonderful for walking, riding and cycling. Some of the most notable National Trust beauty spots
include: the lakes and woodland around Waggoners Wells, Bramshott Common, Ludshott Common, Passfield Common, Hindhead Common and The Devil’s Punchbowl (a Site of Special Scientific
Interest). A series of pathways and bridleways are easily accessible and connect these areas; particularly Ludshott Common and its numerous trails. The South Downs are also nearby. The property is less
than a mile from the prep schools of St Edmunds, The Royal School and Amesbury School. Other notable schools include: Highfield at Liphook, Woolmer Hill at Haslemere, Bedales at Petersfield, Frensham Heights at Rowledge, Charterhouse at Godalming and Guildford High School.
The gardens at Hunters Moon are enchanting and were carefully planned by the current owners and garden designer, Fiona Lawrenson, who has won two gold medals at the Chelsea Flower Show. To the rear of the
house is a secluded seating area, ideal for outdoor entertaining during the summer months. The garden is mainly laid to lawn and interspersed with lush, mature beds and a variety of trees. A timber framed rose walk
leads through to an ornamental part of the garden, which features pretty box hedging. The swimming pool area is incredibly well protected as it is surrounded by the original garden walls, which are attractively adorned with foliage. There is a patio area for poolside entertaining. Beyond the gardens are the paddocks, which are fenced with post and rail fences and the ménage. The extent of the land and woodland can be seen on the boundary plan. Adjacent to the rear of the property is the stable block, which is a charming
period building with 4 stables, a tack room, 2 store rooms and a hay loft above. This building may have potential for conversion, subject to the
SERVICES: Mains Water, Electricity and Gas. Private Drainage.
LOCAL AUTHORITY: East Hampshire District Council. Tel: 01730 266551
Master Bedroom with En Suite Bathroom and Two Dressing Rooms
Five Further Bedrooms
Three Further Bedrooms
Outer & Inner Halls
Contact branch for relevant Energy Performance Certificate